- Dynamic stability control (DSC) including brake fade compensation start-off assistant brake drying and brake stand-by features with dynamic traction control (DTC)
- Double-pivot type front suspension with spring struts and anti-roll bar
- Tilt/telescopic steering wheel column
- 4 12-volt power sockets
- Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling and phonebook downloading capabilities
- Seat-mounted front side-impact airbags
- BMW Ultimate Service
- Split fold-down through-load rear seats
- Rear wheel drive
- Heated dual power mirrors
- Front-seat center armrest
- Ground-illuminating lights in door handles
- Halogen free-form front foglights
- Direct ignition system with knock control
- Auto start-stop function
- iDrive system with 6.5-inch full color flat-screen display controller and 8 programmable memory buttons
- Front passenger seat-occupation recognition with passenger airbag off indicator
- Dynamic cruise control
- 8-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission with adaptive transmission control (ATC)
- Battery switch
- Power-adjustable folding exterior mirrors with automatic dimming function -inc: integrated turn signals
- Automatic climate control includes micro-filter automatic air recirculation left/right temperature control temperature- and volume-controlled rear outlets windshield misting sensor max A/C function heat at rest and recall of individual user settings
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers and automatic headlight control
- Integrated 3-button universal garage-door opener
- Knee airbags for driver and front passenger
- Anti-theft AM/FM stereo CD/MP3 player audio system with radio data system (RDS)
- High performance lightweight 4-wheel ventilated disc brakes with anti-lock braking system (ABS) dynamic brake control (DBC) and cornering brake control (CBC)
- Storage package
- 8-way power front seats includes 2-way manual headrests and driver memory with 2 presets for exterior mirror and seat positions
- Locking glovebox
- Courtesy lights include fade in/fade out actuation from remote automatic switch-on when engine is turned off separately controlled left/right front and rear reading lights front footwell lighting and illuminated vanity mirrors
- Leatherette upholstery
- Star spoke (style 393) 17 x 7.5 light alloy wheels -inc: 225/50R17 run-flat all-season tires
- On-board computer with check control provides feedback on the vehicle's operating status including oil level indicator and distance to next service appointment/oil change as well as other detailed information such as micro-filter status. It also provides travel information travel range on remaining fuel external temperature and more
- Child safety rear door locks
- Pwr front seats -inc: driver seat memory
- Rear-seat center armrest with cupholders
- Power front and rear windows with 'one-touch' up/down operation
- Interlocking door anchoring system to help protect against door intrusion in side impacts
- Driving dynamics control with eco pro comfort and sport settings
- Driver's and passenger's front airbag supplemental restraint system (SRS) with advanced technology dual-threshold/dual-stage deployment and front-passenger seat sensors designed to prevent unnecessary airbag deployment
- Advanced vehicle key memory includes climate-control temperature and air-distribution settings exterior mirror and power seat settings audio tone settings and radio presets central-locking preferences and lighting preferences
- Impact sensor that activates battery safety terminal disconnect of alternator fuel pump and starter from battery and turns on hazard lights interior lights and unlock doors
- Electronically controlled engine cooling (map cooling)
- Front and rear head protection system (HPS)
- Servotronic power assist steering
- Central locking system with center console switch (leaves gas filler door unlocked) double-lock feature and 2-step unlocking
- Engine start/stop button
- Programmable daytime running lights
- 2.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder 16-valve 240-hp engine combines a twin-scroll turbocharger with variable valve control (Double-VANOS and Valvetronic) and high-precision direct injection.
- 3-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel with controls for audio system cruise control and Bluetooth wireless communication for hands-free mobile phone
- Satin silver matte trim (N/A w/ZLL Luxury Line ZML Modern Line ZSL Sport Line or ZMM M Sport Line)
- BMW ambiance lighting front & rear
- Adaptive brakelights
- HiFi sound system
- Front safety belts with automatic pretensioners
- 2-way headrests with active head restraints
- iPod and USB adapter
- Automatic-dimming rearview mirror
- LATCH attachments for child-restraint safety installation
- Emergency trunk release
- Coded driveaway protection
- Brake energy regeneration system
- Extra-lightweight chassis components tailored axle kinematics and high-precision steering system
- Remote keyless entry with remote trunk release
- Tire pressure monitor
- TeleService activation
- Rear window defroster
- Halogen high- and low-beam headlights
- Twin-tube gas-pressure shock absorbers
- HD Radio with 'multicast' FM station reception
- Electronic throttle control
- Auxiliary audio input for portable music players
- 5-link rear suspension with cast-aluminum upper transverse arms
- Automatic locking retractors (ALR) on all passenger safety belts for installation of child-restraint seat
- BMW's advanced safety system for integrated deployment of passive and active safety features
- Satellite radio preparation
- ** PRELIMINARY STANDARD EQUIPMENT **
- Blow-by heater
- Electric interior trunk release
The 3-Series is offered in Sedan, Sports Wagon, Coupe and Convertible body styles, each with several potential powertrains. Most of the lineup is offered in 328i and 335i variants, with the 328i getting a new 240-horsepower, 2.0L turbocharged 4-cylinder engine, while 335i versions offer a 300-hp, 3.0L turbo six. Both of these engines employ twin-scroll turbocharging for quick responsiveness as well as strong torque output just above idle--making them feel like much larger engines. New-generation 8-speed automatic transmissions help the Sedan and Sports Wagon models achieve excellent mileage, too--up to 33 mpg on the highway with the 335i Sedan or up to 34 mpg with the 328i Sedan. Coupe and Convertible versions have a 6-speed automatic available instead of the 8-speed (and a 230-hp six), but a 6-speed manual gearbox is also offered throughout the entire 3-Series lineup.
Special xDrive versions of the Sedan and Sports Wagon offer all-weather capability to the 3-Series, albeit only with the 8-speed automatic. On the other hand, both the Coupe and Convertible can be had in special 335is versions that add a higher-output, 320-horsepower version of the 6-cylinder engine, plus a special 7-speed dual-clutch automated manual gearbox, as well as other performance improvements that bring some of the flavor of the high-performance M3.
The M3 is seen by BMW as a separate model altogether, although it's essentially a top-performance model based on the Coupe and Convertible. It comes with a 414-horsepower V8 and either a 6-speed manual or 7-speed M Dual Clutch Transmission, plus Electronic Damping Control with an optimized M Dynamic Mode. Compound cross-drilled brakes are also included, as are an M variable differential lock and an M Drive button that allows you to save personalized settings. A Competition Package is available and has a lowered suspension and wider-offset wheels.
Separately, those who like the idea of a sport sedan but want to make an especially green statement might want to consider the ActiveHybrid 3. With its turbocharged 'TwinPower' turbo 6-cylinder engine, 8-speed automatic transmission, and a sophisticated electric-motor and management system, the ActiveHybrid 3 delivers 335 hp to the rear wheels and can accelerate to 60 mph in as little as 5.3 seconds, yet it achieves EPA ratings of 25 mpg city, 33 highway. The system permits operation on electric power alone for up to 2.5 miles, as well as coasting with the gasoline engine off at up to 100 mph. The hybrid gets special L-shaped LED rear lamps, as well as badging and Streamline alloy wheels, plus more standard features, with dual-zone climate control standard. The lithium-ion battery pack reduces trunk space somewhat.
Sedan and Sports Wagon models both have Auto Start-Stop, which shuts the engine off at stoplights and smartly starts it again when the brake is released. There's also a new Driving Dynamics Control, with Comfort, Sport, Sport+ and Eco Pro modes,
Convertible models of the 3-Series come with a reasonable amount of cargo space, and their soft-top arrangement folds tightly and neatly away in just 23 seconds. Back seat is a bit tighter in the Convertible, as well as the Coupe, with the 3-Series Sedan and Sports Wagon offering easier entry and exit plus more rear legroom and width.
Sports Wagon models are distinguished by their elongated roofline and exemplary utility and versatility compared to the other models. Powertrains, trims and materials are comparable to those in the other models, yet it offers four cargo-floor tie-downs, a storage tray under the floor, a deep stowage compartment and a partition net, all to help keep cargo secure, while the rear seatbacks can be folded down as needed in three separate sections, with a 40/30/40 split. Compared to the last-generation wagon, there's more width between the wheel arches, and a wide tailgate opening, scuff plates and available racking systems for outdoor gear or storage boxes help make the most of it. A Top View mode for the rear-view camera system, as well as a BMW Parking Assistant, are there to help with visibility, and they may prove particularly useful with a loaded wagon.
Most of the 3-Series lineup is offered in Sport Line, Luxury Line, and Modern Line versions, with each of these distinguished by separate trims, materials, and details. There's also an M Sport package that brings an entire set of appearance features that give a nod to the M3 in appearance--with a firmer M Sport suspension, too.
Major options include a variable-ratio (Variable Sports) steering system, the Adaptive M Suspension, a Head-Up Display, Active Blind Spot Detection, Lane Departure Warning and a High-Beam Assistant. The rear-view camera system has a Surround View feature to help spot pedestrians or other objects when backing up, and the available Adaptive xenon headlamps swivel with the steering angle to help see around corners.
As part of the ConnectedDrive technology suite, the 3-Series models offer Bluetooth connectivity, text-to-speech capability, and features like Pandora and MOG music streaming through a BMW Connected app. All of these are accessed through the iDrive screen-based interface.
BMW has updated its design lines in the 2013 3-Series. An M Sport Line is new and offered on either 328i or 335i models, bringing sport seats, M alloy wheels, a sport suspension, an aerodynamic package, "hexagonal" interior trim, Shadowline exterior trim and an Anthracite-hued headliner. Modern Line 3-Series cars now come with an all-black upper dash and steering wheel to compliment Black Dakota Leather and Dark Oyster piping and Dark Pearl metallic trim replaces Pearl metallic trim. Sport Line models are now available with Fineline Anthracite wood trim, and both the Sport Line and M Sport Line now include a choice between all-season or performance tires.
Throughout the 3-Series Sedan lineup (in all but the ActiveHybrid 3), Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go is now offered. Also Dark Burl Walnut trim is now available separately on the 328i and 328i xDrive models.
2013 BMW 3-Series Coupe and Convertible models get a revised Premium Sound Package that includes Sirius satellite radio and Harman /Kardon premium audio.